Friday, November 25, 2011

Letters: Kindle gives me my international edition

AppId is over the quota
AppId is over the quota

While on holiday in France, I thought I would subscribe to a free two-week trial of the your Kindle edition – I've never looked back. I have since travelled extensively, including to China, and have continued to read the Guardian daily in a reliable and readable format, saving the problem of finding a newsagent selling foreign newspapers. Each day the Guardian is downloaded via 3G to my Kindle – a great advantage over the web edition. Using a computer to access the Guardian relies on finding a low-cost and fast internet connection. One can read the Kindle Guardian version in an open-air cafe, on the train, plane or beach. Although I get the paper edition at home, I do find the Kindle edition more convenient when commuting. I certainly won't mourn the loss of the international edition (Open door, 17 October).
Dr Martin Wilkinson
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands

• One of the pleasures of life in Spain has always been reading the Observer or Guardian while sitting in a sunny cafe and enjoying a cafe con leche. Sadly, this innocent pleasure has been wiped out in the interests of saving money and moving towards digital media. The reality on the ground is that an expensive and poor internet service from Telefonica makes it impossible for many older Brits to access online newspapers, even if they have the technical savvy. The Tory papers don't seem to have stopped their international versions, so our local shops are piled high with copies of the Mail, Express, Telegraph, Sun etc. My Spanish newsagent agreed with a shrug, "solamente periĆ³dico de derecha" – he only sells rightwing newspapers.
James Ward
Alicante, Spain


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment